Attention! QuickBooks error 15217. Are you getting this error message too? Don’t worry! This complete blog will guide you on troubleshooting this error with some easy and professional solution strategies. 15217 is an update error in QuickBooks, and users generally find this issue while downloading or installing their required latest QuickBooks Desktop updates. This QuickBooks error demonstrates a problem with your QuickBooks Desktop update.
It’s obvious to say that QuickBooks update error 15217 is frustrating as it stops users from downloading their essential QuickBooks updates. While facing this issue, users get an error message on their screen: “The QuickBooks Desktop update did not complete successfully. The update is missing a digital signature or a file has been tampered with.” Do you also get such QB error messages? It’s ok; we have the possible causes for this error and their necessary troubleshooting methods. Continue reading to learn more about the error!
QuickBooks Error 15217: A Quick Note!
QuickBooks error code 15217 belongs to the 15XXX error series and disturbs users while downloading the latest QuickBooks Desktop software. There are multiple reasons to notice why this error occurs, and we will discuss them further in this blog post. However, users can face this error when QuickBooks fails to protect their computer and its essential contents by verifying the Digital Signature Certificate of the update that’s being downloaded. Now let’s move on and learn about the possible causes and know why this error occurs.
“If you are seeking expert guidance to resolve this error, we recommend contacting our QuickBooks professionals!”
Also Read – Resolve QuickBooks Error 15214
Prominent Causes For QuickBooks Update Error 15217
QuickBooks is undoubtedly a versatile and extensive application that helps you with bulky and complicated accounting operations. However, errors like QB error 15217 create a hindrance for the users. There can be numerous causes to know why you fail to download the necessary updates and face QuickBooks update error 15217. We have mentioned the commonest ones for your better learning. Have a look:
- If you are having error issues related to the digital signature certificate, there are chances to lead to this QB update error.
- Your Internet Explorer must be updated with its latest releases, or else you may face the QuickBooks error 15217.
- If your Firewall program or antivirus software prevents you from installing the latest updates, it might lead to update errors like QB error code 15217.
- A poor internet connection or improper settings can also bring this error code 15217.
- The incorrect or poor set-up of your Microsoft Internet Explorer also results in update issues like QuickBooks update error code 15217.
- You may see an error message with QuickBooks error code 15217 if there is any misconfiguration in your Firewall program.
Preventive Actions Before Troubleshooting the Error
So, now that you are aware of the root causes of the error, get this issue solved by taking the necessary troubleshooting actions. But, before you embark on the solutions, let’s get ready with considerable preventive actions.
These actions are important to consider since your data gets vulnerable to loss and failures during the troubleshooting procedures.
Create QuickBooks company data file backup:
- First, open your QuickBooks application, and continue to go to the File option.
- Click the File option and then hit the Back Up Company option.
- After this, select the Create Local Backup option, and you will see some instructions on your screen.
- Follow these popped-up instructions and continue creating a company data file backup.
How to Rectify QuickBooks Error Code 15217 Easily?
Knowing the technical approaches to resolve the QuickBooks error code 15217 will help you get rid of the problem easily. However, you need to execute the following troubleshooting methods carefully with the given instructions. Let’s continue!
Troubleshooting Method 1 – Include Intuit & QuickBooks in the Trusted Websites List
Adding Intuit and QuickBooks to the list of trusted websites allows you to avoid issues while downloading the latest QuickBooks software updates.
- Begin this troubleshooting strategy by opening your Run Window. Press the Windows + R keyboard keys to get the Run box.
- Once you open your Run Window, now type “explore” in the Run dialogue box and press the OK button. Continue to open Internet Explorer and click the gear icon.
- You can find this gear icon in the upper right corner and continue to select the Internet Options alternative. In the next step, you have to move to the Security option.
- Now, click on the Sites button and then hit the Trusted Sites icon option. Here, type “https://www.intuit.com/” if you are a US user, and if you are a Canadian user, type “https://www.intuit.ca/”
- Afterward, click the Add option and make sure to mark the option required for server verification (HTTPS:) for all sites in your zone.
- Complete the procedure by clicking the Close option and then hitting the OK button. If the update error still troubles you, come to the next troubleshooting strategy.
Troubleshooting Method 2 – Perform Installation of the Digital Signature Certificate
Sometimes, QuickBooks fails to verify the Digital Signature Certificate, so you may face update errors. Therefore, perform the following steps and install the Digital Signature Certificate.
- First, make sure that your background is free of any opened Window of QuickBooks Desktop software.
- In the next step, navigate to the C:/Program Files/Intuit/QuickBooks, and search for QBW32.exe.
- Now, right-click the QBW32.exe file and select the Properties option. Next, you need to click the Digital Signature button and ensure to choose the Intuit Inc. option.
- Click the Details button, and in the details window, click the option of View Certificate. Further, click the Install Certificate option and then the Next button.
- End this procedure by clicking the Finish button. Once you finish it, update your QuickBooks Desktop software and look for the error process.
Troubleshooting Method 3 – Disable your Firewall Program Temporarily
As mentioned above, the Firewall program can also contribute to errors while updating your QuickBooks Desktop software. So, consider disabling the Firewall program for some time.
- To begin with this process, go to the Start Button, right-click the same, and open the Settings option.
- Here, you will see an option for Security and Updates. Click this option to open Windows Security.
- Now, click the Firewall and Network Protection button to further click the Domain, Private, and Public Network options.
- After this, turn off Microsoft Defender Firewall for each network. Now, try to download the updates, and if you still fail due to the QuickBooks error 15217, let the next method help you.
Troubleshooting Method 4 – Try to Update your QuickBooks Software in the Safe Mode
Safe mode ensures that the Windows operating system only loads the required drivers. That’s why it also decreases the chances of facing errors while downloading QuickBooks updates. Have a look at the below-mentioned instructions:
- First of all, you have to open your QuickBooks Desktop Software and then continue to click the Help option.
- In the next step, move to the Update QuickBooks Desktop option. Click the Update Now button, followed by clicking the Get Updates option.
- Now, this may take time to finish the downloading updates process. Once you are done with the updation process, hit the Close button to finish the troubleshooting method.
Troubleshooting Method 5 – Execute Clean Installation of your QuickBooks Desktop Software
If none of the strategies mentioned above helped you resolve the QuickBooks error code 15217, try to perform the reinstallation of your QuickBooks Desktop software.
For this, you can use the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool or can manually perform the clean installation. This manual troubleshooting method will include the following steps:
Step 1 – Perform Uninstallation of your QuickBooks Software
- For this, you need to open your Control Panel first. Once you open the Control Panel, click on the Programs and Features alternative.
- In the next step, select the QuickBooks software icon and click it to uninstall by clicking the uninstall/change option.
- Some instructions will pop up on your Desktop screen, follow them and continue.
Step 2 – Change the QuickBooks Folder Name
- Once you are done with the uninstallation process, reinstall the QuickBooks software and now rename the old QuickBooks folder.
- Navigate to the drive where you have saved your QuickBooks application folder. Now, right-click the QuickBooks folder and select the Rename option.
- Rename the folder by adding the “.old” extension to the end of the filename. Create a new QuickBooks folder after reinstallation of the QuickBooks application. This extension will help you differentiate this folder from the newly created QuickBooks application folder.
Step 3 – Set up your QuickBooks Software again
- In this step, set up your reinstalled QuickBooks software.
- Register for the QuickBooks application program by downloading and using the license and product keys. Now, try to download your QuickBooks desktop software’s latest releases or updates.
The Last Words..!
So, have you got all the solution strategies mentioned above? Let these methods help you solve all the update issues related to the stubborn QuickBooks error 15217! You may find these solutions quite complicated at certain steps; if it digs you into further technical glitches, contact our BizBooksAdvice experts. They will help you rectify this update error professionally. With the help of their professional assistance, you can easily get rid of this error without any confusion or dilemmas.