Did the update fail? QuickBooks is no doubt one of the excellent accounting applications. However, errors and bugs like QuickBooks error PS077 do occur and hamper the excellence and productivity of users’ daily payroll operations. Agree? This technical glitch occurs due to incorrect or misconfigured software settings and disturbs the user’s payroll updation process. If you are also facing the same issue and are frustrated with its continuous disturbance, give a look at this solution guide and figure it out.
QuickBooks Error PS077: Message Description
Users who fail to download their necessary payroll updates get an error message with QuickBooks error PS077 reading, “A user has not registered QuickBooks software or the Company file is damaged or corrupted.” Also, the error message stated, “QuickBooks: Problem having trouble installing payroll tax table update,” pops up and informs the user about the issue.
Clues to Notice Payroll Update Error Code PS077
As we discussed, the error message itself is a prominent sign to sense the QuickBooks error code PS077 in the QuickBooks payroll application. However, you can notice the error by finding the following signs as a clue.
- Failure to download the latest payroll updates again and again is a sign of error code PS077 in the QuickBooks application.
- If your payroll tax tables are puzzled in between the updates downloading process or fail to get the payroll updates, it means your application has been caught by the QB error code PS077.
- Sudden or unexpected crash and freezing of your system is also a reason for error code PS077 in the QuickBooks payroll application.
Obvious Reasons for Payroll Error PS077
- If your QuickBooks application fails to read and verify the registered information of the software, there are chances of facing QuickBooks payroll error PS077.
- The incorrect billing information is again a major reason for the update failure of your required payrolls.
- Ensure your system has only one QuickBooks application, else this will definitely bring the error code PS077 during your payroll update process.
- One of the most obvious reasons for encountering the QuickBooks payroll update error code PS077 is the outdated billing information.
- If your tax tables are corrupted or damaged due to QuickBooks payroll or its related components, at that time also, you may fail to download the latest payroll updates.
- In case you have turned ON the User Account Settings, it will also cause you to face the update failure.
- The damaged and corrupted QuickBooks company files are another obvious and common factor that instigates the payroll update error code PS077 in QuickBooks.
Preventive Steps to Take Before Rectifying QuickBooks PS077 Error
It’s always better to take some preventive steps before jumping to the troubleshooting methods to rectify a QuickBooks error. For the rectification of the QB error PS077, we have given some careful instructions to follow. Consider the first and proceed further:
- Validate your payroll subscription before beginning to troubleshoot the error.
- Check whether you have entered the correct and updated billing information in your payroll account or not.
- Do update your QuickBooks payroll application to the latest released updates, or else you may dig into the compatible issues while rectifying the error.
- Remember to back up your essential QuickBooks company data files along with a required copy of them. Place this backup file at a location that is easy to identify.
Now, let’s directly move to the troubleshooting section and find some easiest ways to get rid of this irritating payroll update QuickBooks error PS077.
Top 5 Ways to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Payroll Update Error PS077
This section is all about troubleshooting strategies with stepwise instructions. Make sure you follow every step and smoothly execute the procedures. Let’s start!
Troubleshooting Way 1 – Download the Latest Payroll Tax Tables and Remove Error PS077
The damaged and corrupted payroll tax tables can easily invite the QuickBooks payroll update errors like error code PS077. So, performing these steps and downloading the latest tax tables is better.
- First of all, take off all the existing and additional copies of QuickBooks installation set-up files from your system.
- Open the Run dialogue box by pressing the Windows + R keys and type Control Panel in the given search bar.
- You will get the search results that appear on your screen. After this, navigate to the Programs and Features option, followed by clicking the Uninstall/Change button.
- After this, you will get the list of Programs; from here, you need to delete the installed copy of QuickBooks. Check whether the error is still disturbing your payroll update process; if yes, move to the next troubleshooting method.
Troubleshooting Way 2 – Fix the Troublesome Issues with your QuickBooks Desktop Software
Fixing the issues of your QuickBooks Desktop software can help you to a great extent while solving the QuickBooks payroll update error code PS077. Let’s begin!
- First, open the Control Panel by pressing the Start menu button. From the Control Panel, click the Programs and Features option.
- In the drop-down menu of the Programs and Features option, you will see the QuickBooks program; select the same, followed by clicking the Uninstall/Change option.
- In the next step, click the Continue button followed by the Next option. After this, hit the Repair button and then again the Next button.
- Wait for the repair process; it will take a while. Do not interfere during the process; else, you will face further consequences.
Is the error resolved? If not, let the next method help you.
Troubleshooting Way 3 – Turn the User Account Control Settings OFF
Remember that if your User Account Control Settings are ON, it may restrict you from successfully downloading the payroll updates. Follow these instructions and turn OFF the UAC settings.
- To begin with the strategy, first, you need to visit your Start button and continue to click and open the Control Panel.
- Now, type UAC in the search bar of the Control Panel and press Enter. Once you get the UAC (User Account Control) results, look for the Change User Account Control Settings option.
- After this, select the option, and choose the Never Notify option to Turn OFF the User Account Control Settings.
- Here, you will be requested to fill in the correct admin credentials, including the password and username. Enter these details and continue.
- Now, again launch your QuickBooks software and try to download the latest payroll updates again.
Still, the error is troubling. It’s ok; we have more solutions to help you out.
Troubleshooting Way 4 – Get Help from QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
QuickBooks File Doctor Tool is one of the easiest in use and most effective tools to troubleshoot general QuickBooks company data file errors. Since the QuickBooks error PS077 is also a result of corrupted QB files, let’s use this tool and solve the entire issue.
- First of all, download and install the QuickBooks Tool Hub if you don’t have one on your system.
- Continue to this step and navigate to the option of Company file issues from the QuickBooks Tool Hub drop-down menu.
- Now, run the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool. It will take a few minutes to run, so have patience and wait.
- In case the QuickBooks File Doctor fails to access the QuickBooks company data file, attempt to search for QuickBooks Desktop File Doc manually.
- After this, you will again get a drop-down menu; from here, select the QuickBooks company data file with damage and corruption issues.
- Once you have selected the file, check and confirm your file, and here, you have to fill in the necessary admin credentials.
- Enter the username and password, followed by choosing the Next option. Once the issues are resolved, check the error status.
Troubleshooting Way 5 – Change the QBWUSER.ini and EntitlementDataStore.ecml File Name
By renaming the QBWUSER.ini and EntitlementDataStore.ecml files name on your computer system, you won’t be facing the issues related to your payroll updates download anymore. Let’s fix it with the steps mentioned below:
- Initially, you need to search for the “QBWUSER.ini” file on your computer system. Once you find it, right-click and open it to continue further.
- Now, choose the Rename option and add the .old extension to the existing file name. Conduct the same steps to rename the “EntitlementDataStore.ecml” file by adding the .old extension to it.
- In the next step, launch the QuickBooks software again and open your company data file.
- Continue to the step and make a copy of this QuickBooks file. Make sure to keep this file copy in your computer’s local folder.
- Now, as you have renamed and saved the files, go to the folder and try to open these files with no error.
Troubleshooting Way 6 – Rename the CPS Folder
Often and unknowingly, the CPS folder may contain damaged or corrupted files. If you rename the CPS folder, there are fewer chances of facing issues with the latest payroll tax tables, as corrupted files interrupt the tax table updates.
- In this troubleshooting process, you need first to open your File Explorer. You can open File Explorer by pressing the Windows + E keys simultaneously.
- In this window of File Explorer, you will get an option of This PC. Click this option, and navigate to click the local disk C option.
- Now, you are required to launch the QuickBooks Desktop Folder with the current version of your QuickBooks software.
- Now, open the Components and continue to visit and access the Payroll folder. After this, right-click the CPS folder and select the option of Rename to change the folder’s name.
- In this step, you must rename the folder and enter the CPSOLD.
- Press the Enter key and create a new CPS folder.
- Again, launch the QuickBooks Desktop software and continue to download the latest payroll tax table updates.
Troubleshooting Way 7 – Verify QuickBooks Payroll Service Subscription and License Number
We have discussed in the section of reasons for QuickBooks error code PS077; the incorrect QuickBooks license number and invalid QuickBooks payroll service subscription are one of the contributors to the error. So, follow the steps mentioned below and continue to resolve this technical bug.
- Open your QuickBooks software and visit the QuickBooks Home. Press the F2 key and keep a note of the exact QuickBooks license number.
- In this step, shut down the Product detail window followed by clicking the OK button. Here, you can verify and correct the QuickBooks payroll license number.
- Now, to check the subscription status, click the My Payroll Service option from the Employees tab.
- Here, you will find the Manage Service Key option. Now, check and confirm the Service Name plus the Status of your Payroll Service. These two must be correct and Active, respectively.
- Now, verify the service number again and open and type the correct service number when asked.
- Continue to hit the Next button, followed by unchecking the Open Payroll Service box.
- Tap the Finish button, and you are done with this troubleshooting method.
The Ending Notes..!
Try to fix this stubborn issue of download payroll update failure related to the QuickBooks error PS077 by executing these solutions. If you still need our help, contact our professional and certified team. We are available 24*7 to rectify such problematic QuickBooks errors.